“Our contractor, Graham Flatiron Joint Venture, has let us know that they cannot meet the September 30 deadline,” said Doug Drever, City of Saskatoon Project Director. “The Circle Drive South Project is proceeding with plans to have construction completed as weather permits. The contractor states that the weather has delayed the road work considerably.”
The following is a project update on what has happened, and what will be happening over the summer:
WEST SIDE11th Street Interchange
- 11th Street traffic operational and Graham Flatiron Joint Venture (GFJV) presently working on slope protection.
- GFJV working on the on and off ramps.
- The diamond railroad structure opened for railway traffic.
- Retaining walls being installed.
- Completion of rail on interchange track awaiting CN and CP; will be completed in September, 2012.
- Traffic barriers on CN mainline structure being constructed; deck is completed.
- Construction will continue through the summer on the sound wall from Dundonald Avenue west, adjacent to the new 11th Street West bypass; as well as walls east of Dundonald Avenue and south of 11th Street, and the wall adjacent to Meadow Green.
- New entrance way into Holiday Park Industrial (Dudley Road extension) to be built in summer 2012.
- The Circle Drive and Clancy Drive intersection will be affected by the new alignment of Circle Drive. Detours will be in place throughout the summer to help with construction.
- Roadwork to continue when sub-grade material is near optimum moisture content.
- Valley Road traffic will be switched between the new northbound and southbound lanes throughout the summer to facilitate asphalt paving, pavement marking, and street lighting.
- The new Valley Road and CN mainline overpass has structure completed, retaining walls installed, and crews are working on the approach roads.
- Installing storm water pipe from north of 11th Street interchange towards Clancy Drive.
- Dundonald Trunk Storm Sewer pipe installation completed.
- Manhole work continues.
- Concrete deck being poured on east side of bridge structure.
- Earth berm being removed underneath the east bridge structure.
- Spadina Crescent closed to traffic to facilitate connections to the on and off-ramps, and will remain closed until bridge work is complete.
- Pedestrian walkway structure underneath has been completed.
EAST SIDEIdylwyld Interchange
- Various traffic detours throughout the summer to facilitate drainage construction, structural work, on and off ramps, and new lanes.
- Traffic barriers and miscellaneous structural work under construction.
Lorne Avenue Interchange
- Lorne Avenue roadway construction continues; anticipated opening August 2012.
- Work continues on retaining walls, traffic barriers, and drainage on Lorne Avenue and Idylwyld Drive structures.
- Paving first lift (layer) is completed north of the structure.
- Roadway sub-grade continues on the ramps from Circle Drive to Lorne Avenue, base work started.
East Side Roadwork
- GFJV continues to cut and fill road sub-grade as weather allows.
- Hauling base and material to completed sub-grade.
- Traffic barriers being constructed on roadwork east of river.
- Drainage catch-basins being constructed as weather allows.
- Work on sound walls on east side completed over the spring of 2012.
- Stonebridge trunk storm sewer has been completed and flow is now going to the outfall structure.
Preston Avenue Interchange
- Detour still operational and working well.
- Girders were installed May 16, 2012, and work on bridge deck continues.
- Sub-drains being installed for drainage.
- Deck planned to be completed in July, 2012.
- Anticipated opening November 2012.
The Circle Drive South Project is Saskatoon’s largest infrastructure project, involving a new south bridge, five interchanges, and over 10 kilometres of freeway. The Project hotline is always open for recent updates and traffic detours at 1-888-851-5303. Or check out the shots on the live web cams at www.saskatoon.ca.